For Taxpayers
You have several choices - all free!
1.  Prepare your own taxes online. If you feel comfortable preparing your own returns, use our free website to e-file your Federal and State returns from the comfort of your home or office. Go to
2. Prepare your own taxes online in a Tax Lab help from VITA volunteers at ESR or Goodwill on University Parkway.
3. Let a VITA Volunteer prepare your taxes for you at one of our sites.
What can a free tax preparation site do?
As volunteers, we are trained and tested in current tax law using IRS materials and are certified by the IRS. We can complete your federal 1040 or 1040A return and file it electronically, including the following forms:
Form 982 (limited)
Schedules A, B, D, C-EZ, EIC, R, SE
Schedule E (limited)
Schedule C (limited)
Form 1040 – V
Form 1040 – ES
Form 2441 (child and dependent care credit)
Form 5329 (part 1)
Form 5405
Form 5695 (Part I only)
Form 8863 (education credits)
Form 8880 (credit for qualified retirement savings contibutions)
Form 8812 (additional child tax credit)
Form 8888 (allocation of refund)
Form 8889 (health savings accounts) limited
Form 8917
Form 1040-X (limited)
We cannot prepare
Schedule C with losses
Complicated & advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
Form SS-5 (request for social security number)
Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
Form 8615 (minor’s investment income)
Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding)
We can also prepare and file your North Carolina tax forms electronically.

Where can I get my taxes done free?
VITA (Volunteer Income tax Preparation) Sites for families earning up to $53,000 
Tax Preparation will begin February 1, 2017 and go through April 18. Days and hours vary by site location.
What do I need to bring to the tax preparation site?
Important: You need to bring:
  • a picture ID (driver's license, passport, or other government issued ID)
  • Social Security cards (or Individual Tax Identification Number) for yourself and each dependent (including children) you are claiming
  • your W-2 and/or 1099s
  • Form 1095-A (proof of health insurance under the ACA)
  • the Employer ID number or SS number of childcare providers
  • last year's tax returns (if possible)
  • your spouse, if you want to file jointly electronically. (We can prepare the return and give you a hard copy to sign and file by mail if your spouse is not present).
If you want direct deposit of any refund, also bring your checking or savings account information.
When will I get my refund?
If you choose direct deposit to a checking or savings account, you can expect your federal refund in about 10 days. If you want a paper check, it takes up to three weeks. State refunds are less predictable.

What if I owe taxes?
 You have several options:
  1. We can file your form electronically and give you a payment slip for you to mail to the IRS by April 15 with payment.
  2. We can file your form electronically and you can have your payment deducted from your checking or savings account. Be sure to bring a voided check or savings account statement so we can get your account number.
  3. We can print your forms and you can mail them with your payment by April 15.

What is the Earned Income Tax Credit? Am I eligible?
 The Earned Income Tax Credit is a benefit for low-income working individuals and families.  Find out more.